[OS X TeX] install spell checking dictionary for Bulgarian

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:18:01 EDT 2021

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 10:15 PM David Derbes <derbes.physics at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To follow on, I have on occasion typed up Russian papers with the Russian
> language selected in Language & Region. The misspelled Russian words show
> up in TeXShop with a red underline, though I have not installed any Russian
> dictionaries.

Russian language seem more important by Apple and they included spelling
dictionaries for it. Not for Bulgarian.

On Jun 5, 2021, at 3:08 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at math.fsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Roussanka,
>
> incidentally, I think Aquamacs can tap into the system spell checker.
> Anyway, it seems you have some aspell in your system. If it was properly
> installed, you should have about 739 files under
> /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60. If bg.* is Bulgarian, I have:
>
> *aspell-0.60*> ls -1 bg*
> bg.dat
> bg.multi
> bg.rws
> bg_affix.dat
> bg_phonet.dat
>
> (I installed aspell with HomeBrew for use with the other Emacs.app.)
>
> But a more general question is: if you add Bulgarian to your “Language &
> Region” tab under System Preferences is it not picked up by both TexShop
> and Aquamacs?

Yes, I had and have it, for long time: but that is for the keyboard, i.e.,
for the virtual Bulgarian keyboard. It works in Aquamacs and TeXShop, Mail,
Messages, etc. Spell checking somehow works in most programs, except for
.tex files in TexShop and Aquamacs. If I try to type bulgarian text with
the transliteration of cyrrilic in latin, I get funny autocorrections in my
messages to my daughter, esp. when I'm sleepy and type without reading what
is autho-corrected:

Roussanka