[OS X TeX] including a graphics file

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Sat Jun 19 12:30:51 EDT 2021

I tried the changes you and Murray Eisenberg suggested.  It crashed the compilation.

Here is what I know:
1. Murray talked about PDFLatex.  I don’t know if it is the same thing as I am using.  The TeXShop editor allows the following Typeset options:
Plain Tex
Latex
Bibtex
Makeindex
Xelatex
Xetex
I have always used the Latex setting, which seems to include Ghostscript, etc (I use Pstricks a lot, and it works with that setting.)

2. My preamble has \usepackage{graphix}

3. dropping the .pdf in the file name results in “file plot1 not found"

5. Again the TeXShop editor menu has two macros for figures: regular or eps.  The settings I mentioned in my previous email were the eps settings (including all the
weird stuff like \bf inside the caption) which I had used because when I used the regular setting (which I usually do) the typesetting crashed.  With the eps settings, the
system simply says it doesn’t recognize the \epsfile command, and skips the whole picture.
The changes suggested by both of you take me back to the “regular” settings.

4. The console output which concerns the relevant part of the source code is
./Monsters.tex:669: LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in plot1.pdf
(no BoundingBox).

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.669 }
        \quad
?
<plot1.pdf>

./Monsters.tex:672: LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in plot2.pdf
(no BoundingBox).

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.672 }
        \quad
?
<plot2.pdf>

./Monsters.tex:675: LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in plot3.pdf
(no BoundingBox).

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.675 }

?
<plot3.pdf> [311] [312] [313]

and the crash data at the end reads
### ps2pdf13 /tmp/altpdflatex.40944-1624119801/Coeur.ps /tmp/altpdflatex.40944-1624119801/Coeur.pdf
Error: /undefined in obj
Operand stack:
   4   0
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1974   1   3   %oparray_pop   1973   1   3   %oparray_pop   1961   1   3   %oparray_pop   1817   1   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   %errorexec_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:727/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:1/20(G)--   --dict:170/200(L)--   --dict:234/300(L)--   --dict:85/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Current file position is 4087310
GPL Ghostscript 9.50: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
GPL Ghostscript 9.50: ERROR: A pdfmark destination page 318 points beyond the last page 317.
### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdflatex.40944-1624119801/Coeur.pdf ()

I am not sure how to specify a bounding box for the output.  I’m attaching the first of the three files that I am trying to include, for reference.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155