[OS X TeX] converting EPS images when typesetting

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 2 12:30:09 EDT 2021

> On Sep 2, 2021, at 11:17 AM, Gray, Gary L. <euler at psu.edu> wrote:
>
> I am not currently using TeXShop for my TeXing, but a collaborator is and he is seeing something that I am not on my setup.
>
> We have about 200 EPS files of images in a document and he typesets using pdflatex. When I typeset the document on my setup using latexmk, the images are converted to PDF files (-eps-converted-to is appended to the name) the first time and then the converted images are read on subsequent typeset runs. When he typesets the same document, the EPS images are converted every single time he typesets, which takes several minutes rather than a few seconds. What can he do in TeXShop so that the images are only converted once?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gary

Howdy,

TeXShop isn't doing the conversion. Recent (quite a few years now) versions of TeX Live allow pdflatex to use a restricted form of shell escape that allows certain safe external applications to run without the need to run a full shell escape. So it's pdflatex that is doing that conversion.

What is in the documents preamble? Is it still loading the epstopdf package? Sound like there is something touching the eps files so that pdflatex thinks it has to update the converted files.

herbs at wideopenwest.com