[OS X TeX] TeX Hour tonight: Accessible CLI // next week Community and Communication
jfine2358 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 07:13:50 EST 2022
Tonight's TeX Hour is based on the paper "Accessibility of Command Line
Interfaces" by Sampath, Merrick and Macvean (all at Google, Seattle). I'm
delighted that Alice Merrick will be joining us. You can read the paper and
watch a short presentation on it at:
HTML & PDF: https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3411764.3445544
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b_dlMBUAw8 # 5 minutes
The TeX hour is from 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time. The UK time now:
The zoom URL is
If you've time to read only one thing, look at the paper's recommendations,
1. Ensure that a HTML version of all documentation is available.
2. Provide a way to translate long outputs into another accessible format.
3. Document the output structure for each command.
4. Provide a way to translate tables in CLI output into another
5. Ensure that all commands provide status and progress indication.
6. Ensure that all status and progress indicators used are screen
7. Ensure that error messages are understandable when read aloud.
Next week I'll focus on Community and Communication. In particular, I'll
explain why I think our community would benefit from a monthly newsletter,
and what I'm doing in response to that need.
Once again, Accessibility of Command Line Interfaces tonight, 6:30 to
UK time now: https://time.is/UK.
with best wishes
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MacOSX-TeX