[OS X TeX] Index generation

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 13:39:15 EDT 2022

> On 5 Jul2022, at 12:39 PM, George Gratzer via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>
> Creating an Index for test.tex:
>
> Step 1. Add
>
> \usepackage{makeidx}
>   \makeindex
> and
> \printindex
>

> to test.tex and add the index commands.
>
> Step 2. Typeset test.tex with makeindex replacing LaTeX.
>
> This produces the test.idx file.
>
> 3. Run makeindex on test.idx.
>
> Here is my question!!! What is the easiest way to do this in TeXShop???

For Step 2, simply choosing makeindex from the typesetting menu and then clicking the Typeset button should do it. BUT… that assumes you have already Typeset with the LaTeX selection form the drop-down Typeset menu. (Running LaTeX first writes the .idx file that makeindex needs to do its work.)

But you may want instead to choose pdflatexmk from the drop-down menu and then click the Typeset button: that will create the needed .idx, run makeindex, then run LaTeX again to typeset the index in the document.

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mobile (413)-427-5334
503 King Farm Blvd #101