[OS X TeX] pdf viewers: pop-ups at hyperref links

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 10 13:18:48 EDT 2022

I’ve also found the hyperlink pop-ups less than completely satisfactory on both Skim and TeXShop. I usually use this feature for quickly reviewing the lemma or proposition or whatever the link is referring to, and it often cuts the text off on the right (in my case) and also on the bottom if the text of the lemma or whatever has more than a few lines. I’m still using a 1080p (<4K) monitor.

Skim does have an additional tool though. (I use single page view, and I’m not sure how this works with a double page view). If you hover the cursor over the link long enough for the pop-up to appear and then do a command-click on the link, Skim displays off to the side a window of a full page width view of the lemma or whatever, but only maybe ten lines long, and it’s scrollable vertically. Then I can examine the text on both pages side by side and determine whether or not, for example, the lemma really does imply what I said it does. The one thing that annoys me about this though is that I first have to wait for the pop-up to appear. If I command-click before the popup appears, a tiny useless window pops up. I believe that at one time I used to be able to do a command-click before the pop-up appeared and it worked properly, but at some point it stopped working properly.

Richard Séguin