[OS X TeX] Installing CM fonts in OS 10.14 Mojave

Salomon, David david.salomon at csun.edu
Mon Jul 11 17:09:35 EDT 2022

Greetings everyone,

After using OS 10.12 Sierra for several years, I have recently erased the internal SSD drive in my iMac 2019 and installed a fresh copy of OS 10.14 Mojave from the app store. I have also installed fresh copies of the applications and utilities I use.

I now face the task of downloading and installing the CM fonts, so that I could use them in TeX (I plan to use TeXpad, any comments?) as well as in other applications such as Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Word.

I checked the fonts catalog at TUG:

https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/computermodern/

which sent me to:

https://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cm/

but there I got confused. There are too many types of CM fonts. I looked at the bakoma collection at

https://www.ctan.org/pkg/bakoma-fonts

and  it has both type1 and true-type fonts, but this collection seems old. I also don't know how to install those fonts. Just open them in "Font book"?

I have been using TeX (the old Textures implementation) since the mid 1980's, so I know how to use it, but installing fonts is new to me. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Best regards and thanks

David Salomon
dsalomon at csun.edu
http://www.davidsalomon.name/