[OS X TeX] TeXShop on Monterey: weird behavior?

William Slough wslough at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 11:38:57 EST 2022

Dick,

I must first say that your effort here in supplying a new version for this
unusual (and, hopefully, rare) situation goes above and beyond what any of
us should reasonably expect! Thank you.

I can report that Version 4.70, with the hidden preference
IgnoreStartOnReboot as described in your message, does the trick. Now, when
I perform the 3-step procedure I previously described, the dreaded gray
window does not appear. Indeed, no TeXShop window appears since it does not
restart when the Mac starts up again.

Just to muddy the waters, I wanted to point out one more thing, though. My
3-step procedure was my way of simulating a system-wide panic and reboot,
but this may not be an acceptable substitute. The very first time I tried
this, I set the hidden preference, opened TeXShop 4.70, then restarted the
Mac. At that moment, I got the dreaded brief fan noise which usually
indicates a crash. Upon restarting, I saw that in fact it had crashed!
Moreover, in this first experiment, TeXShop 4.70 reopened on its own with
both the gray and white windows -- and, as before, this required a
force-quit.

A subsequent experiment resulted in the behavior you intended: the machine
restarted and TeXShop did not open. I am calling this a success.

As a point of reference, I am using a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro with MacOS
12.2.1. Very recently, I had to erase the drive and reinstall MacOS from
scratch, so one might think I have a relatively pristine environment.
Whether or not this is really the case is debatable: when I restored my
account from a TimeMachine backup onto this presumably pristine OS, the
console showed a significant number of crash reports.

Thanks again.

Bill Slough