[OS X TeX] TeX Hour: Thu 26 May: 6:30pm UK time: Technical Debt

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:47:13 EDT 2022

Hi

The subject for tonight's TeX Hour is Technical Debt. I'm particularly
interested in small problems that can be easily solved, and in hard
problems that cause catastrophic risk. All contributions are welcome,
particularly those related to TeX, accessibility and technical
documentation.

Here's the details: Thursday 26 May, 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time.
Zoom URL:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09
UK Time Now: https://time.is/UK.

And here's some definitions. According to Wikipedia

In software development, technical debt (also known as design debt or code
> debt) is the implied cost of additional rework caused by choosing an easy
> (limited) solution now instead of using a better approach that would take
> longer.

 In open source software, postponing sending local changes to the upstream
> project is a form of technical debt.

Also according to Wikipeda

"You aren't gonna need it" (YAGNI) is a principle which arose from extreme
> programming (XP) that states a programmer should not add functionality
> until deemed necessary.
>

> XP co-founder Ron Jeffries has written: "Always implement things when you
> actually need them, never when you just foresee that you need them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_aren%27t_gonna_need_it

And for those who are sighted, some links to xkcd.
https://xkcd.com/292/
https://xkcd.com/844/
https://xkcd.com/1579/
https://xkcd.com/1695/
https://xkcd.com/2054/
https://xkcd.com/2138/
https://xkcd.com/2347/

Finally, Blaise Pascal in 1657 apologised for sending a long letter because
he didn't have sufficient time to write a short one. See
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/28/shorter-letter/.

Wishing you happy coding

Jonathan