[OS X TeX] : stupiid question

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Sat May 28 17:20:59 EDT 2022

Thanks, Luis, you found the problem.  I use the TeXShop editor very naively, so the suggestion by Michal Hoppe was for me too much technical jargon, and I couldn’t see why my book project, which certainly didn’t explicitly use his suggested input, worked when this didn’t.  Luis jogged my memory and I realized that I use the prelude
% !TEX TS-program = latex
(which I presume is shorthand for latex+dvips) in my book project.  I added it to the test file and it worked, except for two typos—one which I thank Michael for spotting, and the other became obvious once I got the thing to run.

Murray, I don’t use a Mac Studio—I have no idea what that even is.  I use my MacBook Pro with TexShop and no fancy gadgets that I am aware of.

Everyone, thanks for your suggestions.  The smack! to my forehead was not as loud as I expected, but it was still there.  ouch.  :-)