[Textures] A bit of everything (3/7)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Tue Mar 22 16:15:55 EDT 2011

Adobe Euro
==========

While most 21st century fonts contain the euro symbol, this was not the case with 20th century fonts. (In fact, my main motivation for purchasing a new version of the Lucida fonts from PCTeX was to get one with the euro symbol.)

Several solutions exist, described in section 7.8.7 of the LaTeX Companion 2nd edn. One such solution is the Adobe Euro font, containing the official euro glyph in Sans, Monospace and Serif shapes and Regular, Bold, Italic and Bold Italic styles; see

	http://www.adobe.com/type/eurofont.html

This font matches well with common PostScript fonts. It's free, but must be downloaded from Adobe. A direct download link is

	ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/mac/all/

Read eurofont.txt and get eurofont.sea, which is an old-style StuffIt self-extracting archive. The current StuffIt Expander (for example from the Mac App Store) cannot process it, you'll need either Classic or SheepShaver and run the self-extracting archive in it. I've tried Unarchiver <http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html> but it can't deal with the archive either.

Extracted, the archive contains FFIL screen fonts

	Euro Mono
	Euro Sans
	Euro Serif

and LWFN printer fonts

	EuroMonBol	EuroSanBol	EuroSerBol
	EuroMonBolIta	EuroSanBolIta	EuroSerBolIta
	EuroMonIta	EuroSanIta	EuroSerIta
	EuroMonReg	EuroSanReg	EuroSerReg

which can be put directly in the OS X or Textures Fonts folders.

TeX support files are available from CTAN at

	http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/euro/

including LaTeX packages europs and eurosans. The latter is my favorite (see the discussion of the two in the LaTeX Companion). There is also a eurofont LaTeX package at

	http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/eurofont/

but it feels like overkill.

The use of EdMetrics to transform the TFM files into a metrics suitcase is straightforward application of the general instructions in the second message of this series, choosing None for the PostScript encoding.

As an alternative, a pre-built suitcase is available from Blue Sky Research, at

	ftp://ftp.bluesky.com/fonts/EuroMetrics.hqx

Unfortunately, it is not recognized by OS X Textures owing to its type, TFIL, whereas OS X Textures insists apparently on metrics suitcases being of type FFIL. SetFile is your friend:

	/Developer/Tools/SetFile -t "FFIL" EuroMetrics

You're done!

MarVoSym
========

Another font containing the official euro symbol is MarVoSym <http://www.marvosym.com>; see sections 7.8.3 and 7.8.7 of the LaTeX Companion 2nd edn. This is a nice TrueType font containing all sorts of interesting symbols, originally for engineering but now much wider-ranging.

The font has been converted to PostScript format and a LaTeX package written for accessing its glyphs. It is available in this form from CTAN at

	http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/marvosym/

A Mac version of the font is included in the package. Unfortunately the versions don't match: the LaTeX package was written for Marvosym v2, dating back to 2000, the included Mac font corresponds to MarVoSym v1, dating back to 1998, and the current TrueType font on the web at <http://www.marvosym.com> is MarVoSym v3.1, introduced in 2007.