[Textures] Mountain Lion & TeXtures 2.2.0b18

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Sat Sep 1 09:22:49 EDT 2012

Le 1 sept. 2012 à 14:34, Michel Mélin <m.melin at me.com> a écrit :

> Someone as tested TeXtures 2.2.0b18 with Mountain Lion ?

Works just fine here.

If you install it after Mountain Lion, you'll have to Ctrl-Click on the app to launch it for the first time, then bypass the Gatekeeper warning so to as to instruct ML this is a legitimate program.

If you have the app already installed before updating (from Lion say) to Mountain Lion, then it's likely you don't have to do anything.

Still looking from time to time at the BSTS web site to see if there's anything new, but no luck so far…

Hopefully with the switch to Cocoa programming, the new version (if any) would not have so much to catch up with, compared with current TeX engines (XeTeX, LuaTeX), other TeX GUIs (syntax coloring, etc.) and new features of the OS (versions, etc.): most of it would be provided by OS libraries. We'll see!

One of the things I miss most for now is support for hyperref: producing PDF documents containing hyperlinks is a requirement for most of my activity. So this implies using other TeX systems at least for producing the final versions of the documents.

Lack of support for fontspec and unicode-math is also a problem, implying to introduce conditionals like in the screenshot above when using Lucida fonts: content creation takes place in Textures with the Type1 fonts, so as to take advantage of Flash Mode, and final production takes place in TeXShop with XeLaTeX or LuaLateX and the OpenType fonts.

That said, I must admit that as such problems are accumulating I tend to use less and less Textures and to switch gradually to a workflow involving only TeXShop.

The problem is that, as more and more LaTeX packages are released which take advantage of specific features of XeTeX and LuaTeX, and no driver file to add Textures support to these packages (like textures.def does for the graphics and color packages), then it becomes trickier and trickier to use Textures, and more and more time-consuming too.

Bruno Voisin