[Textures] Textures 2.2.0b19 and figures in PDF

Gary L. Gray euler at psu.edu
Mon Feb 9 21:09:11 EST 2015

> On Feb 9, 2015, at 5:30 PM, Salomon, David <david.salomon at csun.edu> wrote:
>
> It worked for me and I have been using this 2.2.0b12x interim version since 2009 under OS 10.6.8. Today, OS 10.6 is outdated and I would like to update to OS 9, but I don't dare make any changes because I assume that Textures may decide to call home.
>
> Back in March 2014 we all received Textures 2.2.0b19, a version that does not call home and does not ask for a serial or activation code. Recently, I installed it on my wife's computer and it works (under OS 10.7.5), except the all-important \special command. It again places PDF figures in strange places, although eps figures are handled just fine.
>
> I attach a short test, both the TeX source and output files. The source file (in PLAIN format) uses \special{illustration filename} as part of macro \illustration, to place figures in the document. The output file (only the first page is attached) shows that the PDF figure is way outside the typeset page, while the EPS figure was placed correctly.
>
> I therefore wonder if any of you have had the same problem and if anyone can come up with a solution.
>
> The only workarounds I can think of are the following:
>
> 1. Convert all my PDF figures (about 350 right now) to EPS and save any future new figures in EPS. This is possible, because Adobe Illustrator can save figures in EPS and read and edit them later in this format. This is also cumbersome, because many old PDF figures may contain legacy text and may require manual editing before being saved in EPS.
>
> 2. Use PDF figures and the \special command, and manually move each figure back to its correct place by including vertical \kern before and after each call of macro \illustration. This seems a terrible kludge.
>
> I would rather stay with Textures as long as possible because the alternative, TeXshop, is slow and its output is only in pdf. There is no dvi or PS. For me, this is a problem, because I need to prepare the final manuscript as a pdf file in a special format for the publisher.  Also, TeXshop accepts figures in PDF only.
>
> Any ideas are welcome.

I am guessing your figures will work if you crop the PDF to it’s ArtBox. I do this using Adobe Illustrator, but I am sure you can do it with ghostscript (or probably even Preview). I can do a quick test if you send me a .tex file and an offending PDF file that you include in the .tex file using Textures commands.

> A general question: Does Textures 2.2.0b19 work under OS 10.9? Under OS 10.10?

I don’t know -- I haven’t used Textures in almost 15 years. I can test it under 10.10 if you tell me where to download it.

Gary