[Textures] Running Textures on newer versions of MAC OS

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu May 30 18:49:16 EDT 2019

> Le 30 mai 2019 à 23:08, Salomon, David <david.salomon at csun.edu> a écrit :
>
> We on the Textures mailing list have just received a message from (Paul Campbell, Paul Cizmas, and Anthony Panos) regarding trying to run Textures on Mojave,  MacOS 10.14.5.
>
> I like Textures and I use it whenever I can. Because of this, I have stayed with Mac OS 10.10.5 for several years. So much new software doesn’t run on OS 10.10, that I would like to update to 10.11 or even 10.12.
>
> If you use Textures on a MAC OS version greater than 10.10.5, please share your experience with us.

Textures being 32-bit (I think), it won't run on the next macOS version (to be presented this Monday normally). It's also not notarized, a future additional requirement for macOS software; see

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/hardened_runtime_entitlements

I don't know whether Textures runs on Mojave: I stopped using and installing it a few years ago. It was too unstable, and was getting incompatible with too many recent versions of LaTeX packages (including journal packages). Hacking the packages to make Textures work with them was just too much of an effort, not worth it. I honestly regret spending so much time on it.

TeXShop offers a similar interface, and is perfectly up-to-date (including 64-bit and notarized). For those missing Textures' Flash Mode, my usual advice is to try Texpad, which offers similar auto-typeset functionality (specifically, initiating a typeset every time the software detects a pause in typing by the user) with a more modern and very user-friendly interface:

https://www.texpad.com/

Bruno Voisin