[OS X Emacs] aquamacs - installing ispell/aspell

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:39:23 EST 2008

Ah, I have remembered now that the [variant] dictionaries are not complete
dictionaries -- they contain only variants of a subset of words from the
main English dictionaries.  (Hence they get treated slightly differently
from other English dictionaries in Aquamacs's version of ispell.el, in that
they aren't automatically selected as a default dictionary.)  See
http://people.inf.elte.hu/qzy/debian/imind/aspell/current/aspell-en-60.0-0/doc/extra.txt(near
the end of the page)

Next steps to take:
1) Please select a standalone dictionary in cocoAspell and we'll go from
there.  I have had no trouble with English (United States) [w_accents].  Try
selecting that one alone.
2) Re-start Aquamacs.
3) Use Help-->Diagnose and Report Bug-->Start Aquamacs Without
Customizations
4) in a buffer with text, M-x ispell

If this doesn't work, let's take this discussion off the list to sort things
out.  Check the value of ispell-dictionary-alist; if it's the same flood of
languages (the default ispell list, with no relation to what you actually
have installed!), that gives me a place to start.

--Nathaniel