[OS X Emacs] overwriting customizations.el

Dave Carlton tgunner52 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 11:32:07 EST 2008

I had the same problem here leaving my customizations.el in ~/Library/
Preferences/Aquamacs so I pulled the file into my ~/.startup/aquamacs/
folder and added a

(setq custom-file "~/.startup/aquamacs/customizations.el")
(load custom-file)

to the head of my .emacs file. Problem is gone, I didn't have time to
go chasing the real problem down and I prefer my stuff in my .startup
anyway.

As a further explanation, for years I have always put my startup stuff
into a ~/.startup folder which I can quickly copy to another computer
and run a .setlinks script which puts symlinks to .bashrc .emacs etc
into the home folder. Works quite well and my .startup folder is under
version control so all the computers on which it is installed are
easily upgraded.