[OS X Emacs] Missing autosave for unsaved-yet files?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Dec 22 17:24:31 EST 2010

Hi,

Is there some magic place untitled buffers get autosaved?

I'm using GNU Emacs 23.2.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS
 apple-appkit-949.54) of 2010-08-18 on braeburn.aquamacs.org -
 Aquamacs Distribution 2.1 Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software
 Foundation, Inc.

I often find myself opening a new file using "New" from the tollbar.
The normal Emacs behaviour of course is "visit file", so when you open
a brand new file you automatically have a name.  But the New item on
the toolbar doesn't do that, and so you don't have a filename.

It's unlikely I'm going to unlearn 20 years of behaviour and stop
relying on auto-save.  What happens, of course (as just did) is that
Emacs crashes taking hours of work in an untitled buffer with it.  The
untitled stuff seems never to show up in the autosave list.

Am I overlooking someplace I should be looking, or is that work as
gone as it seems to be?  (And if so, I guess that's a reason not to
use the toolbar at all for opening a new file, eh?)

Thanks,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.