[OS X Emacs] Re: How to Gnus with Aquamacs?

Joachim Osnabryg osnabryg at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 28 11:18:34 EST 2010

Art Werschulz <agw at comcast.net> writes:
> On Feb 27, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Joachim Osnabryg wrote:
>> I simply want to use Aquamacs Emacs on my Mac for news (Gnus), ... with 2 or three different newsservers, ...

> (2) Set up a file ~/.authinfo with the contents
> 	machine news.eternal-september.org login ??? force yes password ????

Thank you Art, your tutoring was clear and short enough to be followed by a rather innocent ;-)

> (3) Set up a file ~/.gnus with the contents
> 	(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.eternal-september.org"))

This went well, but I could not find out how to have then, besides, the NGs of news.gmane.org, e. g. this one.

I tried adding into the (home)/.gnus :

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))

without success. So I changed putting in:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.eternal-september.org"))

At least by this I can answer to your kindly help out of =>Aquamacs Gnus
(see message headers)!

> (4) Set up a file ~/.newsrc with the names of the newsgroups to which you're subscribing,

I did it but couldn't get it to work with more than one newsserver.
 I see the groups typed into the ~/.newsrc within the *group* buffer,
but I'm not able to get a *Summary...* buffer of that group(s).

> You can now run gnus via the command M-x gnus.  BTW, if you don't know what newsgroups you want, you can type the Gnus command "B" when you're in the "*Group*" buffer, giving "nntp" as the backend, and the name of your newsfeed.

OK, with that I get the NG list of the newsserver (or "newsfeed") typed in,
but I still don't know how to subscribe to certain newsgroups from that buffer.

> You can get documentation on Gnus through the emacs info system.

I have the impression (I began to read through it at least five times without real success)
that this is made for other than "normal" human beings...

> This should be enough to get you started.

Yes, quod erat demonstrandum.

But after one week of intense seeking and reading (manuals, how-tos), asking and trial and
(mostly) error, I suppose that I'm not made for Gnus, perhaps not even for Aquamacs Emacs.

Nevertheless, if you can whistle-blow me the receipt for getting two or more newsservers
(at the same time) in Gnus, I'll wage another try.

Thanks and "Nice to hear from you again"!

joachim