[OS X Emacs] How to Gnus with Aquamacs?

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Sat Feb 27 22:19:02 EST 2010

Hi.

On Feb 27, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Joachim Osnabryg wrote:

> I simply want to use Aquamacs Emacs on my Mac for news (Gnus), I had asked here and there on other NGs (especially German ones) with my question how to configuer Aquamacs Emacs for Gnus with 2 or three different newsservers, how to subscribe NGs, etc. with different and contradictory tips how to proceed.

(1) Figure out what newsfeed you want to use.  If you're only interested in text-only newsgroups (e.g., no binaries) eternal-september.org is a free choice.
(2) Set up a file ~/.authinfo with the contents
	machine news.eternal-september.org login ??? force yes password ????
    (I'm assuming that you're using eternal-september as your newsfeed.  Obviously, you should replace the ??? with the proper login ID and password.)
    If you're on a multi-user machine, this file should not be world-readable.
(3) Set up a file ~/.gnus with the contents
	(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.eternal-september.org"))
    (Again, I'm assuming that you're using eternal-september as your newsfeed.).
(4) Set up a file ~/.newsrc with the names of the newsgroups to which you're subscribing, each line looking like
	comp.os.unix.blivit:

You can now run gnus via the command M-x gnus.  BTW, if you don't know what newsgroups you want, you can type the Gnus command "B" when you're in the "*Group*" buffer, giving "nntp" as the backend, and the name of your newsfeed.  You can get documentation on Gnus through the emacs info system.

This should be enough to get you started.

Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?
Internet: agw STRUDEL comcast.net