[OS X TeX] watermarks

Herbert Schulz herbs2 at mac.com
Fri Apr 28 18:58:27 EDT 2023

> On Apr 28, 2023, at 5:45 PM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at freemathtexts.org> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 28, 2023, at 18:28, Herbert Schulz via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 28, 2023, at 4:24 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a long (500+ pp) book project that I want to watermark before distributing it locally. None of my standard references (Latex Companion, Latex Grphics Companion, Herbert Voss’s PSTricks) seem to have any information about watermarks.
>>> Can anyone suggest an effective quick-and-dirty way to accomplish this?  My document style is memoire and I use xcolor for colors.
>>>
>>> I came across the draftwatermark package and thought it would be the solution to my problem.
>>> The simple command
>>> \usepackage{draftwatermark}
>>> does result in the default: the word “DRAFT” in fairly faint gray tilted 45 degrees in the middle of each page.  But it’s a bit too faint and small for me.
>>>
>>> I tried this package with options on a small test file (using the documentclass article) involving one page consisting of a paragraph with a labelled quote inside.  Of course the bare-bones version works equally well on this test file.
>>>
>>> However, if I try to modify it, specifically
>>> if I write the command as
>>>  \usepackage[color={[gray](0.5)}, text=PRELIMINARY]{draftwatermark}
>>> in the same position (as the last of the \usepackage commands) in the small test file,
>>> instead of printing “PRELIMINARY” as desired, the error  message
>>> “missing \begin{document}” is generated in the console, the labelled quote inside the paragraph gets messed up, and the text is preceded by “,2”.
>>> If I restrict myself to
>>>  \usepackage[text=PRELIMINARY]{draftwatermark}
>>> it doesn’t recognize the option: I get the default behavior but the paragraph is preceded with “text=PRELIMINARY”.
>>> If I augment the simple \usepackage{draftwatermark} command supplemented with
>>> \DraftwatermarkOptions{text=PRELIMINARY}
>>> either before or after \begin{document} the output is the same, because the command  \DraftwatermarkOptions  is an undefined command.
>>> Any ideas how to proceed?
>>>

>>> Zbigniew Nitecki
>>> Department of Mathematics
>>> Tufts University
>>> Medford, MA 02155
>>>
>>> telephones:
>>> Dept.    (617)627-3234
>>> Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
>>> http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Hmmm... the following example seems to work (well, the text is too large) and is basically copied from the documentation:
>>
>> % !TEX program = pdflatex
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage[svgnames]{xcolor}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[color={[gray]{0.5}},text=PRELIMINARY]{draftwatermark}
>> \usepackage{mathptmx}
>> \usepackage{lipsum}
>> \title{Sample document for the draftwatermark package}
>> \author{}
>> \begin{document}
>> \maketitle
>> \section{One}
>> \lipsum[1-3]
>> \section{Two}
>> \lipsum[4-6]
>> \section{Three}
>> \lipsum[7-9]
>> \end{document}
>>
>> I've got a fully updated TeX Live 2023 originally installed by MacTeX.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> herbs2 at mac.com
>
> Very nice with color={[gray]{0.7}}
> Just how do I make it a bit smaller? Here it sticks out of the page.
> —schremmer
> (My TexShop is version 5.10 under OSX 10.13.6)

Howdy,

Try something like

\usepackage[color={[gray]{0.7}},fontsize=0.15\paperwidth,text=PRELIMINARY]{draftwatermark}

In TeXShop click on Help->Show Help for Package… and enter `draftwatermark' (without quotes of course) and the documentation opens in TeXShop.

herbs2 at mac.com