[OS X TeX] \inbook in BiBTex

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Mon Oct 2 20:36:20 EDT 2023

I am getting unexpected behavior when using the \inbook field in BbBTex.

My .bib file has the following entries (one after the other, though that should be irrelevant):

@inbook{Epple:2003,
title={{The end of the science of quantity: foundations of analysis, 1860-1910}},
author={Moritz Epple},
crossref={AnalysisHistory},
pages={291-323}
}

@book{AnalysisHistory,
title={{A History of Analysis}},
booktitle={{A History of Analysis}},
editor={Hans Niels Jahnke},
publisher={American Mathematical Society},
year={2003}
}

The output from this is
[image.png]

which doesn’t make sense: it should at least give the title of the book in which this “in book” appears, if not also the editor of the collection in which it appears.  I get an error message when trying to print which says you can’t have both an author and an editor in this entry.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Professor Emeritus
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University