[OS X TeX] \inbook in BiBTex

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Oct 2 21:26:29 EDT 2023

> On Oct 2, 2023, at 17:36 , Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:
>
> I am getting unexpected behavior when using the \inbook field in BbBTex.
>
> My .bib file has the following entries (one after the other, though that should be irrelevant):

[...]

> which doesn’t make sense: it should at least give the title of the book in which this “in book” appears, if not also the editor of the collection in which it appears.  I get an error message when trying to print which says you can’t have both an author and an editor in this entry.

A couple of points: you're missing "Chapter" which is a required field for the @inbook type (see Patashnik's btxdoc.pdf). That would give you the chapter title, at least.

Based on what I think you're looking for, though, I recommend using the @incollection type instead of @inbook. BTW, BibDesk is a help here, as it showed me which fields were required for @inbook and let me play with types and TeX preview quickly, since it's been years since I thought about BibTeX cross references.

If you look at btxdoc, the intent of @inbook is to refer to something like "chapter 2" of "A Tale of Two Cities," rather than a book where each chapter is associated with a particular author. This isn't particularly intuitive.

hth,
Adam