[OS X TeX] making an index (nomenclature)

Nicolae Garleanu nbgarleanu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 12:53:46 EST 2024

Hi,

I was trying to create a nomenclature in the article class. I followed the same procedure as described in the texshop manual on pages 37-38, with “index" replaced appropriately. I ended up with the following MWE based on an Overleaf sample file (it works in Overleaf):

------
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[refpage]{nomencl}
\makenomenclature

\begin{document}
Here is an example:
\nomenclature{$V_{t,s}$}{Value function}

\printnomenclature
\end{document}
------

I typeset (using pdftex), then run makeindex, then typeset again, but I don’t get the nomenclature. Looking in the folder, I see that there is an .nlo file, but no other “new” type of file (I gathered that I should expect a .gls file). My guess is that I am not running makeindex with the correct settings, but I don’t know how to figure that out.

Nicolae

PS Once I get it running, I’ll try to get the reference page printed in a third column, also aligned, but that is a different type of "project."