[OS X TeX] making an index (nomenclature)

Herbert Schulz herbs2 at mac.com
Mon Feb 5 13:29:51 EST 2024

> On Feb 5, 2024, at 11:53 AM, Nicolae Garleanu <nbgarleanu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to create a nomenclature in the article class. I followed the same procedure as described in the texshop manual on pages 37-38, with “index" replaced appropriately. I ended up with the following MWE based on an Overleaf sample file (it works in Overleaf):
>
> ------
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[refpage]{nomencl}
> \makenomenclature
>
> \begin{document}
> Here is an example:
> \nomenclature{$V_{t,s}$}{Value function}
>
> \printnomenclature
> \end{document}
> ------
>
> I typeset (using pdftex), then run makeindex, then typeset again, but I don’t get the nomenclature. Looking in the folder, I see that there is an .nlo file, but no other “new” type of file (I gathered that I should expect a .gls file). My guess is that I am not running makeindex with the correct settings, but I don’t know how to figure that out.
>
> Nicolae
>
> PS Once I get it running, I’ll try to get the reference page printed in a third column, also aligned, but that is a different type of "project."

Howdy,

First, I assume you used pdflatex not pdftex since that is a latex file.

Please try using the pdflatexmk engine. Just place the line

% !TEX program = pdflatexmk

as the first line of the file and typeset using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T). This engine uses the latexmk script to completely typeset the document using pdflatex and is set up to take care of the proper use makeindex for the nomenclature package.

herbs2 at mac.com