[OS X Emacs] recognize UTF 8?

xah lee xah at xahlee.org
Fri Dec 7 12:54:30 EST 2007

i doubt emacs uses every byte in the file to determine encoding.

if the utf-8 encoding used by emacs adds the BOM mark
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark)
then probably emacs wont make mistakes when opening that file.

> More generally, would it make sense to have Aquamacs store buffer-
> local variables in the resource fork of every file (even though
> resource forks are awkward and not really used much in modern OS X
> days)?

personally i wouldn't want any app to create resource fork. Perhaps
storing a hash table is preferred...

   Xah
   xah at xahlee.orghttp://xahlee.org/