[OS X Emacs] recognize UTF 8?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Dec 7 12:32:33 EST 2007

Am 07.12.2007 um 17:40 schrieb David Reitter:

> When I save a file as UTF-8 (containing the beta character as the
> only non-ASCII character), it doesn't seem to be recognized when
> choice according to the priorities.)

This would only work as described when the beta is a German ess-zett,
ß (LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S), at U+00DF. GREEK SMALL LETTER BETA
(β) is at U+03B2. In UTF-8 ß is encoded as C3 9F, or à <an 8-bit
control character>; β is encoded as CE B2, or Î ². Do you see any
of these characters when you open the file in ISO LATIN-1? If not,
then saving in the new encoding failed ... (and I am experienced in
choosing the wrong encodings to provoke failures)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your
mind.
	- D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9