[OS X Emacs] recognize UTF 8?

José Miguel Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 12:21:24 EST 2007

On 7 Dec 2007, at 16:40, David Reitter wrote:

> When I save a file as UTF-8 (containing the beta character as the
> only non-ASCII character), it doesn't seem to be recognized when
> choice according to the priorities.)
>
> Shouldn't it recognize the UTF-8?
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/info2www?(emacs)Recognize%20Coding
>
> doesn't say that it can't do it.
>
> I'm asking here because I don't know if this is supposed to work.
> (I know a couple of workarounds myself, -*-coding:-*- and the like,
> - that's not what I am looking for.)

I cannot reproduce this in Aquamacs 1.2.

I create a buffer, I type, "Viel Spaß!" and save it as UTF-8.  I kill
the buffer.  I then visit the file I created and it is read as UTF-8.

> Would it make sense to have Aquamacs preferentially load everything
> as UTF-8 unless another coding is recognized?

I would not object to this, since all my documents -- even the LaTeX
documents -- are now UTF-8.  Other's mileage may vary, however.

Cheers, José

Prof José Figueroa-O'Farrill
School of Mathematics
University of Edinburgh