[OS X Emacs] recognize UTF 8?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:40:36 EST 2007

When I save a file as UTF-8 (containing the beta character as the only
non-ASCII character), it doesn't seem to be recognized when loading
(it is loaded as iso-latin-1-unix, which is the first choice according
to the priorities.)

Shouldn't it recognize the UTF-8?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/info2www?(emacs)Recognize%20Coding

doesn't say that it can't do it.

I'm asking here because I don't know if this is supposed to work. (I
know a couple of workarounds myself, -*-coding:-*- and the like, -
that's not what I am looking for.)

Would it make sense to have Aquamacs preferentially load everything as
UTF-8 unless another coding is recognized?

More generally, would it make sense to have Aquamacs store buffer-
local variables in the resource fork of every file (even though
resource forks are awkward and not really used much in modern OS X
days)?

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!