[OS X Emacs] Emacs.app unicode and number pad keys problem

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Dec 16 17:58:35 EST 2007

Am 16.12.2007 um 18:56 schrieb Adrian Robert:

>> Here's 2 problems:
>>
>> (global-set-key (kbd "<kp-1>") 'func)
>>
>> does not seems to work. (i have many functions assigned to the
>> number pad keys)
>
> This is a known issue for which I haven't found a solution yet.
> Basically, entering some weird numeric code instead of "<kp-1>" works,
> but using the standard names does not.

This is not true for kp-0...kp-9 etc. (except kp-enter): they are, on
my PowerBook, not recognised as coming from the numerical keypad.
Even when used with modifier(s) they are undistinguishable from their
more or less numerical counterparts.

My tests were: M-x global-set-key <kp-X> RET <same command from up>
RET and then C-x Esc Esc.

>> also, many unicode chars does not show up by default.
>> e.g.
>> http://xahlee.org/unicode.txt
>> (they all show in carbon emacs and aquamacs out of the box)
>
> As I mentioned before, this relates to a problem with mathematical /
> logical symbol scripts not being recognized well.  Emacs core itself
> seems to analyze these as Chinese (not sure why), but the font that
> Cocoa is picking by default for this script does not have the symbol
> characters.  I tried to improve this with the rc3 release and more
> characters are being rendered, but I'm still not sure of the best
> strategy to address this (from the lisp/international/*.el end or the
> Cocoa font handling end).

It has improved from rc2 to rc3! Just look at HELLO (C-h H). Alas,
now Greek has become worse: ά has vanished. And the rather simple
accented characters in Esperanto or IPA characters are still not
served ...

--
Greetings

   Pete