[OS X Emacs] Emacs.app unicode and number pad keys problem

xah lee xah at xahlee.org
Sun Dec 16 22:18:51 EST 2007

umm... how does Carbon Emacs and AquaMacs solve these problems?

other mac app such as Xcode and TextEdit can also display all the
unicode chars. (and prob distinguish the number keys on the keypad
too but i haven't tested this)

the url for the sample unicode file was wrong in my last post. Should be
http://xahlee.org/emacs/unicode.txt

but the bulk of content is this:

  ζ, κλμ ,xi ξ, ρ,σ, τ, ϕ, χ, ψ, ω
≤≥≠≈⊂⊃⊆⊇∈
ⅇⅈⅉ
ℤℚℝℂ
∑⊕⊖⊗⊘ ⊙⊚⊛∘◦∙× ±
↔⇔⇗ ◀▶▲▼  △▽ ●○◆◇■□‣
「」『』〈〉《》〔〕〝〞!。,:
♥★☆*♪

   Xah
   xah at xahlee.orghttp://xahlee.org/

On Dec 16, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

On Dec 16, 2007 2:02 PM, xah lee <xah at xahlee.org> wrote:
> recently i gave NeXT/OpenStep Emacs another try.
>
> Here's 2 problems:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "<kp-1>") 'func)
>
> does not seems to work. (i have many functions assigned to the
> number pad keys)

This is a known issue for which I haven't found a solution yet.
Basically, entering some weird numeric code instead of "<kp-1>" works,
but using the standard names does not.

> also, many unicode chars does not show up by default.
> e.g.
> http://xahlee.org/unicode.txt
> (they all show in carbon emacs and aquamacs out of the box)

As I mentioned before, this relates to a problem with mathematical /
logical symbol scripts not being recognized well.  Emacs core itself
seems to analyze these as Chinese (not sure why), but the font that
Cocoa is picking by default for this script does not have the symbol
characters.  I tried to improve this with the rc3 release and more
characters are being rendered, but I'm still not sure of the best
strategy to address this (from the lisp/international/*.el end or the
Cocoa font handling end).