[OS X Emacs] init file not being read

Roger Levy rlevy at ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 24 23:55:36 EST 2007

Yeah, I'd already tried this.  I've reduced my ~/.emacs file to

(setq-default column-number-mode t)
(setq-default line-number-mode t)

and it still doesn't get read.  Using M-x eval-buffer when ~/.emacs is
open does work, though.

I'm wondering if something in OS X is telling emacs that my home
directory is something other than what it actually is...is this possible?

Thanks too for the help.

Roger