[OS X Emacs] init file not being read

Roger Levy rlevy at ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 25 22:08:55 EST 2007

David Reitter wrote:
> Roger,
>
> What do the following two expressions evaluate to (use M-: or, in a
> buffer, C-x C-e):
>
> (user-login-name)
> (user-real-login-name)
> command-line-args
> user-init-file

Aha!  Thank you for suggesting that.  It turns out that I had an
.emacs.el file with one (not very useful, but well-formed) line in it.
I don't remember when I added that file, but it must have been while I
was messing around at some point.  At any rate, emacs was picking up on
the .el file and ignoring the .emacs file.

Thanks so much! (And hi ;)

Roger