[OS X Emacs] Scrolling behaviour of shell output

Stefan Vollmar vollmar at nf.mpg.de
Thu Apr 17 03:15:47 EDT 2008

Hello,

after building a larger C++ project, we want to run the resulting
binary from within Aquamacs. We use something like this

(shell-command "/path/to/binary &")

and bind this to a key. It works fine apart from one "cosmetic"
problem: a buffer "*Async shell command*" contains all output from our
application as intended, however, it immediately scrolls away all
interesting information so we only see blank space in the buffer -
every time we want to look at current output we need to scroll back
manually. Ideally, I would like Emacs to follow the output (like a
normal shell) or, if this is not possibly, not scroll at all.

I imagine, a variation of
(setq compilation-scroll-output nil)
might do the trick?

Many thanks in advance,
  Stefan
-
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung
Gleuelerstr. 50, 50931 Köln, Germany
Tel.: +49-221-4726-213  FAX +49-221-4726-298
Tel.: +49-221-478-5713  Mobile: 0173-5340707
Email: vollmar at nf.mpg.de   http://www.nf.mpg.de