[OS X Emacs] forward-word binding

Nicholas Reich nick.reich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 15:53:25 EDT 2008

I just installed Aquamacs 1.4 and one keystroke that I used all the
time has been changed!

Specifically, when I used to type control-left/right the cursor would
move one word (ignoring parentheses) in either direction.  I suspect,
but don't know for sure, that this is the 'forward-word function.

Now, both control-left/right and [Apple]-left/right move me to the
beginning/end of the current line that I'm on.  I'd like to bring back
the old behavior to the control commands.

How can I do this?  I tried editing the osxkeys.el file in /
Applications/Aquamacs\ Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/macosx/
with the lines
    (define-key map '[(control left)] 'backward-word)
    (define-key map '[(control right)] 'forward-word)
but I don't really know what I'm doing here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
nick