[OS X Emacs] forward-word binding

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:09:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Nicholas Reich <nick.reich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed Aquamacs 1.4 and one keystroke that I used all the time
> has been changed!
> Specifically, when I used to type control-left/right the cursor would move
> one word (ignoring parentheses) in either direction.  I suspect, but don't
> know for sure, that this is the 'forward-word function.

FYI, the change was made in order to match standard OS X behavior.
(Option-left/right was similarly intended to be changed to
backward/forward-word in 1.4, but your email has brought it to my attention
that it was missed somehow!)

I'd like to bring back the old behavior to the control commands.
> How can I do this?  I tried editing the osxkeys.el file in
> /Applications/Aquamacs\ Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/macosx/ with
> the lines

In general, users should not edit the files within Aquamacs Emacs.app
(you'll lose your customizations when you change versions, and it will be
hard to distinguish built-in behaviors from the effects of your personal
settings).  Instead, make changes to
~/Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el

The lines
(global-set-key [(\C right)] 'forward-word)
(global-set-key [(\C left)] 'backward-word)
should do what you want, but you may want to consider using \M instead of \C
here, to match standard OS X behavior.

--Nathaniel