[OS X Emacs] Preview-latex errors

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Dec 2 18:12:48 EST 2008

Am 01.12.2008 um 00:41 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Actually a second Emacs.app (launched as "/Applications/Emacs.app/
> Contents/MacOS/Emacs -l ~/.emacs-init.el -Q --debug-init &" where
> ~/.emacs-init.el contains some customisation) shows the same
> behaviour. Do both Emacsen communicate which each other? It's
> strange ...

To me the case is a bit clearer now: I had set in my init file for
Emacs.app (or window system ns) DVI as default output mode. So in my
first tests all went fine. Later I saw that the LaTeX buffer was in
DVI mode, also with the above invocation, and switched it regularly
and manually to PDF. From now on the creation of previews failed.

When I start to create previews for the enumeration of the first
(introductory) section of preview/circ.tex (inside the AUCTeX
sources) with seven math expressions, the X client, or DVI mode, run
only one conversion with gs. In PDF mode gs is invoked seven times
for conversion(s), and fails seven times somehow. The successful X
client runs gs only once.

It's a mystery ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your
mind.
	- D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9