[OS X Emacs] Slime+OpenMCL: debugging

Bill Clementson billclem at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 11:15:45 EST 2008

Hi David,

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:36 AM, David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2008, at 02:02, Bill Clementson wrote:
>
>> I do C-x C-s to save it and then do C-c C-k to compile the buffer. I
>> then switch to the repl and I enter (x 3 0) and get an SLDB debugger
>> buffer:
>
> OK, progress.  When I use C-c C-k to compile the file, it works as expected.
> It is only when I use C-c C-r or C-x C-e to redefine a single function (or
> evaluate the file) that debugging fails afterwards.
>
> As an Elisper, C-x C-e is pretty much what I'm used to and I'm surprised
> that compiling yields substantially (better) results than evaluating for
> debugging purposes...

Ah, ok, that was your problem then. In SLIME, when you evaluate a
single function or region, you are just sending the forms to SLIME for
evaluation in CCL. When you compile a file (with C-c C-k),  you are
creating a fasl file from the source file. Without compiling the file,
SLIME does not know what source file to use for debugging.

--
Bill Clementson