[OS X Emacs] "Paste" from clipboard in Aquamacs

Ted Dustman dustman at cvrti.utah.edu
Thu Feb 28 17:10:23 EST 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 10:24 AM, Travis Jensen wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Is there a way to bind the clipboard copy and paste functions within
> Aquamacs?  Well, of course I can bind them if they exist as
> functions. :)  So the real question is: are there functions I can
> bind?  I'm using the command-key for alt so I don't have to break my
> thumb to hit the alt, so I'd like to bind "paste" to something other
> than command-v.

So I'm probably not understanding your question but don't you mean you
are using the apple command key as meta?  Otherwise command-c, etc.
would work as you expect.  Maybe you want to do this:

(setq mac-command-modifier 'meta) ; This is what you have now, right?
Command key is meta.
(setq mac-option-modifier 'alt) ; This sets the option key to do what
command normally does, i.e., now
                                 ; option-c, option-v, option-x do the
clipboard stuff.

As a bonus (or not), here are some settings for conveniently using
emacs's registers:
(global-set-key [(shift alt c)] 'copy-to-register)
(global-set-key [(shift alt v)] 'insert-register)
(global-set-key [(shift alt x)] (function (lambda (reg start end)
(interactive "cCopy to register: \nr") (copy-to-register reg start end
't))))
Do shift+option+c,v, or x to use a register (or shift+command+c,v or x
for normal :-) folks).  You will be prompted for the register key to
use (a-z,0-9).
t.

> Thanks.
>
> tj
>
> Travis Jensen
> travis.jensen at gmail.com
>
> http://softwaremaven.innerbrane.com/
>
> You should read my blog; it is more interesting than my signature.

Ted Dustman
University of Utah
Nora Eccles Harrison Cardiovascular Research and Training Institute
Room 104
95 South 2000 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-5000

e-mail:  dustman at cvrti.utah.edu