[OS X Emacs] LaTeX cannot find its class/style files (obvious fixes attended to)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jan 4 18:31:25 EST 2008

Am 04.01.2008 um 23:11 schrieb pdfinn:

> If I run LaTeX in the shell it works just fine.  If I evoke it
> through Emacs I run
> into the above problem---this includes evoking LaTeX through Emac's
> term and shell
> modes.

Are you using AUCTeX or Emacs' latex-mode?

Are you able to use dired-mode? Can you position in dired-mode the
cursor on some file and then press ! followed by

	which latex RET

Two lines will be reported in *Shell Command Output*:

	/usr/texbin/latex
	file.whatsoever: Command not found.

I'm not using MacTeX, so the first line can be wrong. The main
question is: is the first line same as from a shell when you invoke
'which latex'?

> I have explicitly set (setenv "TEXINPUTS" ".:/paths/") in my .emacs
> (and my
> .profile).

If your using this statement in both files, then at least in
~/.profile it's nonsense, because of wrong syntax. It's not that
useful anyway, because the important variable is TEXMF. *When* the
right binary is found, then no such TeX related variable needs to be
set, it's all built-in! And such setting can disable TeX.

The final problem is that Carbon Emacs is no UNIX binary, it's a Mac
OS X application which is not launched with the help of an auxiliary
shell. So Carbon Emacs, as all other Carbon and Cocoa applications,
does not initiate its process environment from the shell related dot
RC files. http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html explains
this a bit. You can find more details on the internet – and in the
Carbon Emacs Wiki: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/
CarbonEmacsPackage. My advice is to remove the TEXINPUTS settings and
make sure Carbon Emacs knows the PATH to latex!

Shells can learn from ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist:

	export PATH=$(defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" PATH)
	MANPATH=$(defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" MANPATH)
	export MANPATH

	set path=(`defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment PATH | tr ':' ' '`)
	setenv MANPATH   `defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment MANPATH`

--
Greetings

   Pete

Encryption, n.: A powerful algorithmic encoding technique
		employed in the creation of computer manuals.