[OS X Emacs] Switching from Carbon Emacs to Emacs.app

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 7 09:04:45 EST 2008

Am 05.01.2008 um 11:21 schrieb Lindsay Stirton:

> 1. I tried to install Enrico Franconi's Enhanced Carbon Emacs.
> Mostly, this
> works OK but the Preview-LaTeX doesn't work. Here is a typical
> error message:
>
> Preview-Ghostscript finished at Fri Jan  4 21:26:41
> Running `Preview-Ghostscript' with ``gs
> -dOutputFile\=\(TMA01.prv/tmp90158CBL/pr195-\%d.png\) -q -dSAFER -
> dNOPAUSE
> -DNOPLATFONTS -dPrinted -dTextAlphaBits\=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits\=4
> -sDEVICE\=png16m -r110.522x110.836''

I managed to launch Emacs.app without system and user init files,
with just some necessary lines to make it find AUCTeX and load
auctex.el and preview-latex.el – and a preview was built!

Lindsay, can you try this too? Since I found during this another bug
(it does not work to make it load and execute an ELisp file given on
the command line) you would need to prepare some file in another
Emacs with something like:

	(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/Library/Application
Support/Emacs"))
	(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
	(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

then launch, for example from this Emacs' *shell* buffer

	/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q &

copy the three lines into the new Emacs.app's *scratch* buffer and
either mark them all and apply M-x eval-region RET or position the
cursor at the end of each line and press C-j at each line end, i.e.
three times. Then load the LaTeX file and try to preview a region!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
	A device that allows users to delete vast quantities
	of data with simple mnemonic commands.