[OS X Emacs] Re: Switching from Carbon Emacs to Emacs.app

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Jan 10 12:20:58 EST 2008

Peter Dyballa wrote:

>     You might like to read
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CarbonEmacsPackage#toc31 to find a
> radical solution for all your dozens of problems with the UNIX concept
> of environment variables and what Apple is doing with them.
>
> It contains also a link to an Apple article on this issue. Here is my
> application that just runs some shell scripts to set up X11 that it
> knows of PATH and others, which Jason Davies is hosting kindly:
> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgajpd/Academic/MacResources.html. It's doing the
> job via ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. The original files are saved with
> the date of the change in their names.

Ah, wonderful!  So, if you take your 2 suggestions from this thread
together (Leopard required):

#/etc/profile begin

if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
     eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
     defaults write $HOME/.MacOSX/environment PATH "$PATH"
fi

#/etc/profile end

You still may have to logoff and logon to see the most recent changes,
otherwise, the two PATH construction methods will be in sync.

This may be Firefox weirdness, but when I copied/pasted the first link
above it did not actually take me to the relevant section.  Also
Thunderbird weirdness in that the link is only recognized up to wiki.

Rodney