[OS X Emacs] Re: Switching from Carbon Emacs to Emacs.app

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jan 10 11:07:35 EST 2008

Am 10.01.2008 um 16:22 schrieb Rodney Sparapani:

> Hmm, but this is even more horrible and is undocumented.  I have
> the developer tools installed, but a spotlight search turns up
> nothing.
> A google search points to an article in ADC.  Environment variable
> expansion does not occur, it is only for a single user, you have to
> logoff and logon to see your changes,...  I could go on and on.  It
> wouldn't be hard to write a shell script that
> would generate environment.plist at logon, but that seems to be re-
> inventing the wheel.  We must be missing something.

Citing myself:

	You might like to read http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/
CarbonEmacsPackage#toc31 to find a radical solution for all your
dozens of problems with the UNIX concept of environment variables and
what Apple is doing with them.

It contains also a link to an Apple article on this issue. Here is my
application that just runs some shell scripts to set up X11 that it
knows of PATH and others, which Jason Davies is hosting kindly:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgajpd/Academic/MacResources.html. It's doing
the job via ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. The original files are saved
with the date of the change in their names.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.