[OS X Emacs] spell checking - once more

Alex Hamann Alexander.Hamann at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sun Jan 13 11:34:04 EST 2008

I am sorry I have to bring this up once more. In my previous setup I
had a macports installation of aspell. Now after reinstalling Tiger I
want to minimize the use of macports. So this time it's cocoAspell.
And once more I struggle with the spell checking setup in Aquamacs.

Here comes my configuration:

no modifications regarding ispell in Aquamacs' preferences, nothing
in Preferences.el
two dictionaries (german and english each in their own folder)
installed in /Library/Application Support/cocoAspell

My problem is that Aquamacs will actually find the FIRST dictionary
(in order of installation through the cocoAspell preference pane). It
will not find the other dictionaries because it is looking for them
in the folder of the first dictionary.
To clarify:
After installing cocoAspell (which comes with the english dict)
English spell checking worked. The subsequently installed German
dictionary did not because Aquamacs was looking for it in the
directory of the English dict. I checked and removed and reinstalled
English, thus getting a working German dictionary while the English
one was searched for in the directory of the German dict and thus not
found.
Just throwing all files of both dictionaries in one directory  /
Library/Application Support/cocoAspell would make Aquamacs look for
dictionaries in /usr/local/lib and completely ignore the former place.
I played around with some symbolic links but did not get a satisfying
result.
Is there an easy fix to make Aquamacs {1.2a, by the way) aware of the
different subfolders in /Library/Application Support/cocoAspell ?

TIA,

Alex