[OS X Emacs] Switching from Carbon Emacs to Emacs.app

Lindsay Stirton (Dr) lindsay.stirton at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 08:26:52 EST 2008

Dear All,

I made a bit of progress in my ongoing quest to get Emacs.app working
with AUCTeX, Preview-Latex and TeXLive. In short, Pete Dyballa was
absolutely right about setting .MacOSX/environment.plist (only I was a
bit slow in understanding what he meant). So now, I can LaTeX documents
as I ought to be able to. As an added benefit, emacs can find Maxima for
imaxima-mode. After a bit of fiddling, aspell is now working.

The last remaining problem is with Preview-LaTeX. As before, when I try
to preview a buffer, here is what happens:

        This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
         %&-line parsing enabled.
        entering extended mode
        ! I can't find file `_{'.
        <to be read again>
                           \protect
        <*> &prv_TMA01 _r
                         egion_.tex
        Please type another input file name
        ! Emergency stop.
        <to be read again>
                           \protect
        <*> &prv_TMA01 _r
                         egion_.tex
        !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
        Transcript written on texput.log.

        Preview-LaTeX exited as expected with code 1 at Fri Jan 18
        12:46:55
        LaTeX: LaTeX found no preview images.

Pete's earlier comment about this (when I was using Enhanced Carbon
Emacs) is set out below.

> The problem is that AUCTeX, or its Preview component, claims it is
> invoking Ghostscript to create the PNG file (MA01.prv/tmp90158CBL/
> pr195-1.png), but it does not get created, nothing can be found on
> disk. The process is too fast to trace it with ps, pstree, or top.
> Observing with ktrace what is happening I can see that Ghostscript
> when invoked from Emacs.app fails with an error:
>
>         "Error: /typecheck in --setmatrix--
> 	Operand stack:
> 	   --dict:6/15(L)--   --nostringval--   0.097612
> 	Execution stack:
> 	   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --
> nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --
> nostringval--   %loop_continue   1785   2   3   %oparray_pop   --
> nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %
> stopped_push   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --
> nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --
> nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1148   --nostringval--   %
> end_runandhide   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   1776   3   8   %
> oparray_pop   --nostringval--
> 	Dictionary stack:
> 	--dict:1148/1684(ro)(G)--   --dict:2/20(G)--   --dict:77/200(L)--  -
> dict:107/127(ro)(L)--   --dict:275/300(ro)(G)--   --dict:21/25(L)--
> --dict:4/6(L)--   --dict:20/20(L)--
>
> When run by hand gs does not fail in Emacs.app's *shell* buffer, so
> it must be something in the way Emacs.app creates the process in
> which gs runs that is different from the way Carbon Emacs or the X
> client GNU Emacs are doing their jobs. Comparing the output of
> preview bug report the main differences are in the image-types
> supported by the Emacsen - and the size of the are for the formula/
> region. GNU Emacs says: 59.9607x59.9607, Emacs.app says:
> 84.4534x84.496, Carbon Emacs says:  98.8541x99.3913 – because of
> different font size?
>

>  From the AUCTeX developers team I won't get further help. Since
> decades I have no success in using edebug. David Kastrup writes, this
> inability does not motivate him and so he won't help me more. Maybe
> someone else has more success in this matter.

So what now? Is there anything I can do about this, i.e. a workaround?
Having learnt a lot in the process of dealing with this issue, and come
so far, I feel a bit like Macbeth (I am in blood stepped in so far...")
and would like to struggle a bit further, if it were possible, before I
give in and reinstall the Carbon Emacs Package.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lindsay

Dr Lindsay Stirton              lindsay.stirton at manchester.ac.uk
Department of Law               T 0161 275 3584  +44 161 275 3584
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

United Kingdom