[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs question: disable/rename backup files?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:11:47 EST 2008

On 22 Jan 2008, at 18:01, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>>> So the question is: how can I disable this backup mechanism, or
>>> change the name generation template so that the extension is
>>> modified?
>
>    Peter> I wouldn't disable, but put the backups aside:
>
> Is this strange backup file form peculiar to Aquamacs?  If so, can
> someone
> shed some light on why it doesn't just use the normal ~ or ~N~ thing
> that (I
> think) all other versions of Emacs use?

No, Aquamacs uses the ...~ convention.

I guess Theodore (the OP) is talking about some specific mode that
he's enabled that writes its own backups. It's not obvious how the
normal backup function (see `make-backup-file-name') comes up
with ._... filenames.

(That said, I have observed GNU Emacs writing nasty #...# temp files
for mail messages into ~/ which has always annoyed me. But technically
that's a different story.)

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!