[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs question: disable/rename backup files?

Theodore Todorov Theodore.Todorov at cern.ch
Tue Jan 22 16:07:28 EST 2008

Thanks to all of you for your answers!

On 22 Jan 2008, at 19:57, David Reitter wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2008, at 18:28, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> My first idea was: it looks like a resource fork on non-HFS – but
>> then I assumed a transfer error ...
>
> Actually that's a good point. Theodore, what is the content of
> these ._... files - do they really contain earlier versions of the
> corresponding files?

That's exactly it! The content is binary (the compiler starts
complaining about non-ASCII symbols),
and I cannot get rid of them by disabling aquamacs' backup files!

The file system on which this happens is AFS, so definitely non-HFS.

I am relatively new to Mac OS (a few months), and don't know much (an
euphemism) about resource forks.

So how do I get
  - rid of them? (the AFS file system is also accessed by linux
machines and I don't see the usefulness of the forks)
  - or make them go in a dedicated directory
  - or failing that, change their extension to something other than
*.cxx?

      Cheers,
             Teddy