[OS X Emacs] Migration from TeXShop to Aquamacs Emacs

kbmail at free.fr kbmail at free.fr
Wed Jul 2 10:08:30 EDT 2008

Thank you so much pacotomi !! Your trick exactly does the job I
needed (for me, I read that's not the case for Thomas).

Can you imagine I tried for hours to automaticaly insert the local
variable cookies (like "%% -*- mode: LaTeX; coding: mac-roman-unix; -
*-") with 'sed -i ...', escaping all those special caracters, to
treat the 18 tex files of my thesis I already wrote with TeXShop... :-(

In fact, I added in my preference.el file a little different encoding
to specify an unix line break (only Line Feed):
(add-to-list 'file-coding-system-alist '("\\.tex" . mac-roman-unix) )

Indeed, to detect file encodings, I now use BBEdit which guesses and
indicates both text encoding and line break types, in its bottom bar.
For all my old TeXShop files, it indicates 'Western (Mac OS Roman)'
and 'Unix (LF)'. I wonder why Aquamacs doesn't automaticaly guess mac-
roman encoding ('M' in mode line)... since Aquamacs is good at
detecting utf-8 ('u' in mode line) or iso-latin-1 ('1' in mode line)
text encodings? (without one need to "hard"-specify the encoding with
local variables)

Cheers,
Karim