[OS X Emacs] Migration from TeXShop to Aquamacs Emacs

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jul 2 14:12:10 EDT 2008

Am 02.07.2008 um 16:59 schrieb kbmail:

> I see "__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:1", but I can't figure out
> its meaning... any idea? How Emacs deals with it?

This is only meaningful for Mac OS X.

Now thinking that you want Emacs to go into Mac-Roman mode I finally
see that this can't be accomplished via LC_CTYPE: there is no locale
defined for this "classical" encoding. It might work with

	(set-language-environment '<something with Mac-Roman>)

but it's just nonsense. Instead you either could set, as recommended,
a default encoding for all TeX related files, or, much better IMO,
you should set TeX Shop to prefer another default encoding. See its
preferences pane. It offers some Latin (ISO 8859-x) and UTF
encodings. Such are also provided by Mac OS X ('locale -a | grep -i
iso' or 'locale -a | grep -i utf', maybe both augmented with a 'grep
fr | ' after the first 'locale -a' part, in Emacs' *shell* buffer).
When shell environment and TeX Shop settings match each other, then
you could set in some bash RC file (~/.bash_profile maybe)

	export LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.ISO8859-15

to have the € at hand. Your LaTeX file will need to use

	\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}
	%\usepackage[full]{textcomp}

to translate the contents correctly.

--
Greetings

   Pete

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
				– George W. Bush