[OS X Emacs] Migration from TeXShop to Aquamacs Emacs

kbmail at free.fr kbmail at free.fr
Wed Jul 2 16:54:41 EDT 2008

Thank you for your replies Peter, I guess you're quite strong with
LaTeX/Emacs/Unix!

First, I have to say I'm a bit frightened... I'm a mac user! ;-)
Seriously, I'm a bit affraid by changing the encoding of my files
since I already wrote some 250 pages of my thesis on TeXShop with its
default encoding (Western Mac OS Roman), with many packages (I wrote
a style 'kb-these_book.sty' including 26 packages), many includes,
and Mac OS provides several "natural" features for mac-roman encoded
files, as previews of the text in finder windows... I'm working on
macintoshes (for more than a decade) and I work alone on my source
files: there's no compatibility problems with other people/platforms...

So I need you tell me the reasons why you seem to prefer that one
leave the mac-roman encoding while we're on Mac OS, and, if you will,
whether you think I should leave this encoding now that you know more
about my particular case (which is probably the case of some other TS-
 >AE switchers).

Also: what's xelatex, and is it compatible with latex2e files? (I
read "%%% TeX-command-default: "XeLaTeX" in your first reply; I've
been using pdftex until now).

It's a lot of questions, but never know, if you've got some time... ;-)

Regards,
Karim