[OS X Emacs] Aquaemacs not playing well with Skim

Tom McCormick Tom.McCormick at sauder.ubc.ca
Thu Jul 24 02:51:58 EDT 2008

I'm transferring my LaTeX life from a PC to a Macbook with OS X 10.5.4; so
far I have Aquaemacs 1.4 installed, as well as Skim.  I'm trying to get
forward/backward search going between these two.  From Skim, when I
shift-command-click, it properly takes me to the right point in the LaTeX
source in Aquaemacs.  From Aquaemacs, when I shift-control-click, it raises
Skim, but doesn't change the position in the file at all, which is a major
loss of functionality for me.  If I do C-h k on shift-control-click, I get
back (as I should, I think):

<S-mouse-2> (translated from <S-down-mouse-2> <S-mouse-2>) at that spot runs
the command aquamacs-latex-crossref
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `auctex-config.el'.
It is bound to <S-mouse-2>.
(aquamacs-latex-crossref ev)

Cross-reference in LaTeX

I'm thinking that Aquaemacs is somehow not properly seeing Skim, because
(despite Skim clearly being installed, and even running during these
experiments), if I just ask Aquaemacs to View the pdf, it asks me to confirm
the view command "open <filename.pdf>" and opens the pdf in Preview instead
of Skim.  If I try the "jump to PDF" menu command, the first time it works
and takes me to the right place in Skim with that line highlighted and
everything, but then then next time I get the same bad behavior, names Skim
just raises but the view does not change to the current position in the
Aquaemacs buffer.

I'd very much appreciate any pointers as to how I can fix this behavior

-Tom McCormick